Friday, May 22, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

Home at last! It is so great to be home and reunited with the kids. The picture is them on the beach in Gulfport, Mississippi where we recently attended the wedding of our dear friend, Lulu. Our trip to Rome and Milan was blessed in so many different ways. Though I can’t take time to write about them all, I’d like to highlight a couple of memorable moments.

When after two days our luggage still hadn’t arrived, we knew we had to break down and buy a few necessities. Rome is VERY expensive and the strength weakness of the dollar doesn’t help much. Believe it or not a simple pair of underwear, though quite pretty, cannot be found for less than $15. I couldn’t find a pair of pajamas for less than $55. I’m not kidding! The frugal side of me was having a VERY hard time giving in to such prices even though the need was rather great. (The hospitals there don’t give you a gown upon admittance like they do here.)

After walking into three different shops only to head back out empty handed, I walked back out on the sidewalk in frustration and final realized I hadn’t called on the One who never sleeps or slumbers. In those moments I quietly prayed aloud, “Jesus, you know our needs and You promised to supply them all.” Not thirty seconds later we happened upon a little shop owned by Asians. Through sign language she brought me a large garbage bag of what appeared to be underwear from a market in Hong Kong—with a price tag of 1 euro each! (About $1.40 or so). She then directed me to a basement rack of pajamas on clearance for 4 euros. God so totally provided for us! With such provision we were then able to continue washing our clothes each night in the bathroom sink with a bar of soap. Though I don’t intend to take up backpacking anytime soon, I found it somewhat refreshing to rough it a little bit. Our luggage finally did arrive on day 3.

Another memorable moment was on the plane from Rome to Newark. Though I was bandaged up around the surgery site (with the drain still in), I realized I was bleeding rather heavily around the drain. Just before landing David asked one of the flight attendants if there was a clinic in the airport where I could be checked and re-bandaged. At that moment Continental Airlines (we actually usually fly American) went from being just ‘a regular ol’ airline’ status to ‘the best airline ever’! (I’m even going to write a thank you letter to their head chief!) First a couple of ladies came and talked with me and generally accessed the situation. They then paged the passengers and asked if there was a doctor onboard—of course there was with such a large flight. The one who then attended me was an actual radiologist of oncology. What’s the chances? He was very familiar with patients such as myself.

He felt certain it was simply the high altitude. I felt no dizziness and my pulse was strong. Another flight attendant trained in first aid took me into one of the larger bathrooms and redid my bandages.

As we were leaving the plane many people around us (kind of became a momentary celeb with all the fuss) asked David if there was anything they could do to help us. Many (I’m not exaggerating and remember this was not East Texas) said they would be praying for us. The pilot even asked the Lord to bless us. My goodness, I kid you not, it felt like we were leaving a church service rather than a plane on the east coast! Such kindness from complete strangers can be overwhelming refreshing. It’s a moment I will remember for a very long time.

Though we didn’t ask for it, Continental provided a wheelchair when we disembarked and a very nice man from India zipped us through to the front of many long lines for customs, baggage, security, etc. making international re-entry feel like a walk in the park.

My body is healing from the surgery and I’m continuing with the sodium bicarbonate infusions which are quite painful. Mostly I’m staying in or near my bed and letting David and Ashley function as my round the clock slaves nurses. : )

Thank again for all of your prayers. There are many times throughout the day when I have moments where I can literally feel love, encouragement, hope and joy flood all over me—I know the source! Thank you.

19 comments:

  1. Tears of gratitude to Jesus and thanksgiving to people who actually DO love the Lord. Thank you for sharing. "Reports" like this remind me that people in our nation DO love the Lord. Thanks. Excited for more encouraging stories of health from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like God provided and showed Himself faithful over and over on your trip!
    What great news!!
    Continued prayers for a quick recovery and great updates! Healing is YOURS!!
    Love,
    ~Kellee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again reminded that if His eye is on the sparrow you now He cares for you! Even though there were some trials God did get the victory!

    Rest and heal my friend! May you continue to feel prayers being said and angels surrounding you on all sides (including David and Ashley!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord Mrs. Hasz. I love to hear of God's amazing faithfulness. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading yhour updates, Beth! I'm so glad there are some joyous moments in the midst of all that you're enduring. We're continuing to pray for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is so good. Neat to hear how He showed Himself to you throughout the trip.

    Praying for you and your slaves.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad when I saw there was an update to read. I've been thinking and praying for you. What an amazing testimony of God's grace and favor!
    I will continue to pray for you my sweet friend!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the Lowery's continue to pray for you as well Beth!! Joel preached an awesome message on intersession this past week, where he talked about how we are to "bastazo" (greek for to lift or carry off a burden)for someone in prayer. I believe that it was those "bastazo" prayers that saved my life when I was in ICU 3 years ago. I want you to know that I have committed to "bastazo" you in prayer until we see your full and complete healing! You are loved my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a little time before I had to leave for work and the Lord brought you to mind. It's so awesome to hear you speak of God's goodness and to remember His praises. Us telling our story of God's provision for us I know touches the Father's heart. The Lord bless you, and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you :)

    Love, Glenn Hervieux

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth,

    Thank you for the update. So good to hear of God's provision. We are execting to hear of full recovery soon and continuing to pray for you and your family.
    Love,
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, who knew cancer would take you on some adventures? Not the kinds we choose, but hey - this is building something lasting in you. I am inspired and re-inspired every time I think of your "alternative" methods. It's crazy to me how far off the foods in our society have become, and I believe it's the stories like yours that will bring a passion for eating raw and whole back to the forefront - not just for treehuggers and CA surfers, but for the normal family.
    I can't believe how big the kids have gotten. Ashley was 4 when I was an intern!! I love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are home and getting some rest. I love how God provides! He loves to do it and when we seek Him, we find Him even in bags of underwear from Hong Kong! And, of course through His creativity of designing people on that plane to be in the medical profession to be able to care for you. Beth, your journey is inspiring! Of course I wish you were not walking it, but I am so grateful you are sharing it because you are a light, and all glory goes to God! Love always, xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you are home safely and being well taken care of! It is so good to hear the experiences of your journey. I can only imagine how much of a blessing you were to people on the plane, just as they were a blessing to you! We celebrate you Beth! (Especially today!)
    Love to you all from Illinois!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Beth, thanks for telling me about Nicholas! =) It seriously made me laugh and smile and want to cry at the same time! I miss him and all of you so much.

    Thanks for reading my blog (you may be the only one! haha) I love to read yours--so encouraging to me. I pray for you often, and I hope all is continuing to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please give us an update, waiting anxiously to know how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found your blog via this alerting article: http://anaximperator.wordpress.com/category/tullio-simoncini/

    If you haven't seen this before, please, please read it. i think God provided this for you as well.

    All the best and stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please also read this serious warning: http://www.cancertreatmentwatch.org/reports/simoncini.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  18. насилует разрывает малолетку http://free-3x.com/ трахнуть училку блондинку free-3x.com/ порно домашнее студенты [url=http://free-3x.com/]free-3x.com[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete